Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Rain Came!

Early Thursday morning, I awoke to an unusual sound these days -- rain! I poured myself a cup of coffee and looked out the window above my kitchen sink and saw a doe with her twins enjoying the weather! I had seen them before, but that morning they had an extra bounce, so to speak, in their step. The fawns would eat for a moment, and then erupt in play, chasing each other and leaping in the air. Their mother would watch them carefully while chewing on a juicy leaf knocked down from the rain. It was one of those little moments that delight the spirit.

The Rain Came

The ground was so dry,
The grass, brown from lack.
Weeks had gone by.
When would the rain come back?

Then it came!
And the ground drank deep
Of the gentle rain,
As if awakened from sleep.

A doe and her fawns
Came, delighted by the shower.
I saw them on my back lawn
In the early morning hour.

The little ones leaped
Among the drops,
While mother kept
Watch with each of their hops.

I smiled at the scene,
Remembering the way
My soul had once been
Like the earth was that day.

But the Reign came down
On my parched, dry heart.
And the joy that I found
Made my soul leap and dart!

Thank God for the rain
And all the little things
That remind us again
Of the Life that He brings!

No comments: