Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Obedience of Faith -- as taught by my dog!

I wrote this silly poem after we had our puppy, Jack, for about 8 months or so. If you've ever been a puppy owner, you'll understand! Thankfully, Jack has come a long way since then, and has learned obedience (mostly). I often wonder if I've come as far!

Jack

My dog, Jack, is quite a hound
Both joy and pain to have around.
Just when he’s tipped the garbage can
He cuddles up and licks my hand.

I tell him, “Come!” when he is out,
And just as I begin to shout
So loud I wake the neighbors up,
He ambles in, that scheming pup!

He nipped my hand the other day
When all I wanted was to play,
But didn’t see his precious bone
He wanted just to be his own!

To think I paid for this abuse!
If I could think of some excuse,
I’d put him up for dog adoption;
Yes, this would be a humane option!

Let someone else with great endurance
(And liability insurance)
Take on this rascal. I give up!
I’ve tried to train and love this pup…

But then I look at him and see
That I’m, in fact, a lot like he.
And God has yet to cast me out
Though often He has had to shout

For me to “Come!” I know I’ve been
Both joy and pain, like Jack, to Him.
So now more patience puppy gets
(perhaps that’s why God gives us pets)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,

well I am amazed about your poem. I didnt know you can make poems!!! Beautiful and funny, love it

Andrea

Kathryn said...

I forgot you wrote poems. That one is so true. I often watch Ellie and see how I can or should be as a human!