Friday, April 2, 2010

Digging Deeper


My daughter had to recently recite a poem as part of school. Rather than a lengthy poem, she chose to recite several small ones. Her favorite was this one by Robert Louis Stevenson:

At the Sea-side

When I was down beside the sea
A silver spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up
Till it could come no more!

We've all experienced digging in the sand at the beach, and noticing how, when you reach a certain depth, the hole rapidly begins to fill with water! My kids love seeing how far down they can dig, and then enjoy standing in the pool created! The deeper one digs the hole, the more water fills it up!

A fitting picture, I think, for the Christian life! The deeper we go in our faith, the more profoundly we seek to know our Savior, the more enthusiastically we dig into His word, then the more He is pleased to fill us up with His Spirit, His blessings, His joy, His peace. . . we find that we simply cannot avoid being filled with the goodness and wisdom of God! If, on the other hand, we are feeling empty, it may be wise to ask ourselves if we are taking the time to really dig deeper in our love for and knowledge of the Lord.

So grab your shovels, everyone, and lets hit the spiritual beach!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I was here but now I'm gone! Happy Resurection Day :)

Freddy's said...

I'm digging.... with a spoon, but I'm digging!