Friday, April 11, 2008

Dandelion Days


It's that time of year again -- time to mow the lawn! Spring has sprung and our yard is quickly recovering from it's winter slumber. Unfortunately, our lawn isn't the pristine, weed-free carpet you might find in a typical Southern Living spread. No, it's much more interesting! We have a variety in our yard -- crab grass, chickweed, chain grass, clover, and the inevitable dandelions! But perspective is everything, right? As David and I bemoan the constant cutting, weed-pulling, fertilizing, and trimming, our kids are delighted by the little wonders that even weeds can produce. The chickweed sprouts tiny purple flowers that Emma gathers in miniature bouquets for Mommy. Patches of clover hide good-luck charms to be found! Clover flowers are quickly made into flower necklaces and bracelets. Crab grass provides an opportunity for Matthew to make a musical instrument (place it flat between your thumbs and blow for a kazoo-like sound). And of course, dandelions are the best. They love blowing the puffs, but they especially like the stems. My mother taught me this trick that she used to do when she was a little girl. Take a bowl or bucket of water. Then gather as many dandelion stems as you can (the longer the better). Remove the flower heads so all you have is the hollow stems. Then, carefully peel the stem into thin strips (kind of like peeling string cheese). Place the strips into the water and watch! They curl up into tight ringlets, like telephone cords or Shirley-Temple-like curls! The kids love it! They make as many curls as they can, producing a bucket full of "noodle soup"! They could do this for hours!

The Maple tree in our front yard is also a source of multiple wonders. Matt has finally figured out how to climb up by himself, and shimmies quickly up whenever I open the front door it seems! Emma soon joins him (with a little boost from Mommy), and they perch themselves on the limbs and pluck "helicopters" to launch. "Helicopters" as you may know, are the seeds that the Maple produces. When tossed into the air, they spin and twirl to the ground, rotating like a helicopter propeller. Then they play pirates, look for woodpecker holes, bugs, or just enjoy the view! Several days ago, the kids invited me to join them in the tree. I used to be an expert tree climber (just ask my Mom who can probably attribute most of her grey hairs to the huge Tulip Poplar in our front yard growing up). No problem, I thought! I grabbed a limb and hoisted myself up pretty easily (I've still got it, I thought!). I sat with them a while and then decided to get down. Hmmm. . . a little trickier. I dislocated my knee two years ago, so simply jumping was not a good option lest my leg buckle. So I opted to swing down. I grabbed a nearby limb and jumped. Ah, yes, it was that moment that I realized that I'm not ten anymore as I felt every muscle down my triceps and under my armpits pull like taffy that's been sitting out too long! Ouch!! But, I didn't let on to the kids. I want them to think that their Mommy can still keep up with them. Truth is, my arms are STILL hurting three days later!! Oh well, it was worth it. I even got to launch a few helicopters!

Unfortunately, our fallen world now produces thorns and weeds, but isn't God amazing that our hearts can find delight even in these things -- as long as we have the perspective of a child. It takes maturity in Christ to see God's goodness in the "weeds" we encounter in our lives. It is interesting that true, Christian maturity requires a child-like faith. These Spring days of crab grass and dandelions are a lesson to us grown-ups that it's that simple, child-like faith that delights the heart of God!

No comments: